Sunday, August 23, 2015

Early history of The Wall Street Journal

Publisher of the Journal, Dow Jones & Company was founded in 1882 in a small basement office at 15 Wall Street in New York.  Dow Jones and Company soon bought the first financial printing press. The company was the first to use the telegraph to transmit financial news from London and Boston to New York.

Wall Street Journal was founded on July 8, 1889 by three journalists Charles Bergstresser, Charles Henry Dow, and Edward David Jones. One of the founder names Edward Jones then converted Customers’ Afternoon Letter into The Wall Street Journal which was first published in year 1889. Customers Afternoon Letter actually first published in year 1883 before conversion.

The Wall Street Journal was designed for the business community: Its object is to give fully and fairly the daily news attending the fluctuation in prices of stocks, bonds and some classes of commodities.

Although named for a small area on Manhattan Island in New York, the newspaper had a national scope and assured readers that it would search for and reports the news in the United States, Canada and Europe.

In January 1899, unexpectedly, and with no public reason given, Edward D. Jones retired from the firm of Dow Jones & Company. The remaining owners at that time Charles H. Dow, Charles M. Bergstresser, Thomas F. Woodlock and Franck M. Brady – assumed all assets and liabilities of the firm and retained the name.

Changed hand in 1902 bought by Clarence Walker Barron, circulation was around 7000 copies at that time increased to 50,000 copies by the end of 1920s.
Early history of The Wall Street Journal 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts